Great! You’ve found that perfect new truck for a great deal, but wait, your wife says you’ve got to sell the old one first. Then you think good deals are always to good to be true, this truck is going to be long gone by the time mine sells. Well that doesn’t have to be the case. Consider these tips for selling your truck on Craigslist.
- Clean it out, then clean it up! Everybody’s truck has all kinds of junk in it and it generally will not sell as well when it’s got mud all over it. Spend ten bucks and take it to a car wash in town to have it washed, then vacuum it out too.
- Take pictures of it. Be sure to take pictures of it with something better than a five year old cell phone. Maybe ask your wife to use her new iPhone.
- Sit down and write an ad out. No matter how you advertise, you will need to have a good ad listing out all the details and specifications of your truck. Be sure to include any extra/aftermarket accessories that add value. Listing this out will also be helpful in the next step.
- Determine the market value of your truck. Look for other trucks like yours for sale. Be sure to compare apples to apples. Try to find similar trucks that are the same year, make, and model. Go on autotrader.com or cars.com and do a search for similar trucks. Remember, just because another truck is listed for a certain price doesn’t mean it will sell for that price. Depending on how fast you want this truck sold, you will need to have yours at the bottom of the price range. http://www.kbb.com and http://www.nadaguides.com may be helpful too.
- Create a ListHD listing for your truck. This will allow you to point everyone to one central location for details and high quality images of your truck. ListHD also allows you to generate nice craigslist templates too… and it’s free.
- Generate a template to post on Craigslist. At the end of the posting process, you will be given an opportunity to generate the code to post on Craigslist. What great about a template? Well it will allow you to show more images and larger images in your Craigslist ad, which will get your truck noticed!
- Share your ListHD ad on social networks and tell your wife to “Like” it. Now your wife probably has 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 times as many facebook, etc … friends as you do, so get your wife to post it to her profile too.
- Advertise your truck locally. It’s always a good idea to advertise locally using whatever method is available in your town. Keep in mind that you can refer locals to your listing through a short url: listhd.com/ad/AD ID.
Hopefully these tips will help you get your old truck sold and into a new truck.